Mina sunar- The covid 19 pandemic has the potential to seriously affect the production, certification, distribution and cost of seeds, which play a fundamental role in development agricultural sector and food systems in least developed countries like Nepal. The corona virus has drastically changed the way to do business. And the agriculture and seed industries are no exception. The challenge that we have is to distribute this seed to those that need it the most . Now, people have realized the importance of food and have even reverted back to growing their own food, which has put a great demand on seed sector. It is inevitable that the price of seed will increase as supply will not be able to keep up with demand.
What is the importance of seed in human life?
Seed is a small embryonic plant enclosed in a covering called the seed coat , usually with some stored food. It is the production of ripen ovule of gymnosperms and angiosperms plant which occurs after fertilization.
Seed contain high protein, starch and oil reserves that helps in the early stage of growth and development of plant. These reserves are what make many cereals and legumes major food sources for a large proportion of the world’s ingibitants. Thus, seed is the most vital and crucial input for crop production, one of the ways to increase the productivity without adding appreciably to the extent of land now. Seed , fertilizers and irrigation are the major inputs that drive improvement in agriculture productivity. Highly quality seed alone contribute a 15-20% , increase in out put levels. For major cereal, the key constraints facing Nepalese farmers are lack of access to high quality seed . Recent policy shifts towards private sector involvement in the production of certified improved seed in Nepal are encouraging. Being the major part of crop production, seed should be of a high quality and quantity along with disease resistance. But that’s are some problems along with covid 19 out break
· In current scenario , Corona virus has been affecting in agriculture since 7 month so it has affected seed sector too.
· Due to lockdown in every countries high quality seed can not be imported to Nepal .
· People are not aware of this pandemic so, there may be no storage of seed for future use .
· Farmers are forced to used their local varieties seed which may lead to decrease in in quality as well as quantity.
· The presence of extension service is too poor and irregular and thus limits the flow of knowledge and technology about new variety and their quality and yields among research organisation and farmer .
· It cost high for production of new improved seed in county if has happened .
But here are some solutions for this regarding problems
· Food is the only one thing that no-one can live without so, important materials for agricultural such as sees, fertilizers should be allowed either to import or et along with sefty measure.
· Some farmers only used their own seed , so may have saved from many years so, this seed should be allocated accordingly .
· Maintaining social distance , government should initiate such programs regarding new variety between extension officer and farmers .
· Government should give subsidies to farmers make their interest in agriculture at this havoc period.
· All the necessary materials during the plantings such as sees , fertilizers, irrigation, machine and safe market should be available easily.
Agriculture is the pillars of human civilization, there is no human without food and there is no food without Agriculture.
MinaSunar Bsc. Ag 4th sem (student )